23 January 2011

Green and cheese... Sounds like lunch fit for a BEAR!

Yes, we all know that the normal diet of a Bear consists of fish mostly, but here in Chicago, we all have a taste for CHEESE this afternoon, more specifically CHEESE HEADS!!!


After 181 games played between the Bears and the Packers beginning in 1921, many of us finally get a chance in our LIFETIME to see these 2 great teams meet in the POST-season (the 1st time was in 1941)!!

I feel like I have a special connection to the Bears and Packers rivalry considering that on the day I was born, it was during the Bears vs. Packers game (10/21/85). My Dad and the Doctor were so into the game they were going back and forth to and from the t.v. throughout the delivery (this is before d.v.r.) because the game was just that good! Well in case you don't know, the Bears won at home in a 23-7 victory over the Packers, and eventually as everyone knows, won their one and only Superbowl against the Patriots...

Now I don't know if you are thinking what I'm thinking, but with all the upcoming talk back and forth in the media, it seems as though the Packers are more favored to win this game this afternoon... All I'm saying is that this is an anniversary year, and the Bears are at home... You put 2 and 2 together and we'll talk after the game!! =-)

In the meanwhile, if you have a little time try out this recipe for Cheddar Broccoli soup (even if you are a Packers fan =-). It's perfect for a cold afternoon while watching the Bears vs. Packers game, and why not get your cheese intake for the day to send some good luck to the BEARS!!!

  • 2 Servings
  • Prep/Total Time: 20 min.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup cooked chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

  • In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
  • Add broccoli. Cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 2 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 494 calories, 37 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 116 mg cholesterol, 1,145 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.



I chose this recipe from Taste of Home magazine because it's quick, simple, and I had all the ingredients on hand, and it just seemed so appropriate for today! lol Anywho, I added my own touches to it by first doubling the recipe, then I added some fresh garlic (I sauteed it with the onion), I also added carrots with the broccoli and I added half evaporated milk and half regular milk. (Make sure it is evaporated milk and NOT condensed milk!!) I must say, for my first time EVER making homemade soup of any kind, this soup turned out absolutely DIVINE! I will definitely be making this again. Also just a tip, if you try using the additions to the recipe that I suggested, make sure when you add the evaporated milk you keep stirring to avoid burning of the saucepan, and make sure you use a non-stick pot if possible!!

Enjoy your lunch! Enjoy the game! I will see you on the other side!! =-) GGGGOOOOO BBBEEEAAARRRRSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment